Battlelords of the 23rd Century – Kickstarter Edition
23rd Century Productions
In 1992 my friend John G (does a lot of the art for the shop, check out his other stuff) and I were at BashCon at the University of Toledo and had our minds absolutely blown by the creators of a game called Battlelords. The sales pitch that really resonated was "This guy on the cover is a Phentari. They are man-eating squids that will be shooting you with an uzi with one hand, pulling the pin from a grenade with another two and still have one left over for scratching his balls." In our 13 years we had never heard of anything so fucking cool! Wanton violence and ball scratching! Holy fucking shit! We bought the game and that took over our D&Ding. The next year we were back and had "Inner turmoil forever!" inscribed by creator Larry Sims in an equipment book we bought. We told him about our predilection for what is now disparaged as PvP. I'll flip through the old books every once in a while but we haven't played in close to 25 years, but I was really happy to see it is still in print.
Battlelords of the 23rd Century (aka Battlelords) made its debut in 1990. After a successful Kickstarter, the 23rd Century Productions team has been streamlining the book for a modern audience and improving the quality of the book to exceed current production standards. The newest edition of Battlelords is full color throughout, hardback, and comes in at 540 pages of gloss heavy-weight paper.
In addition, the game features amazing full color, eye-catching art by some of the art industry’s big names like Wayne Barlow (James Cameron’s Avatar, Barlow’s Guide to Extraterrestrials), Stewart Ellis (Ubisoft), Admira Wajaya (Marvel Comics), and Carlos Villas (Heavy Metal magazine). The cover and interior artwork of this gorgeously illustrated book is bound to catch the eye of gamers everywhere.
In addition to a loyal fanbase, the newest edition of Battlelords has plenty of features to draw in both old and new fans alike. Originally written by military veteran, Lawrence Sims, the game’s themes of overcoming racism (speciesism) and stereotypes to defeat adversity through cooperation are just as interesting and appealing today as they were in the late 1980s.
The game also occupies the unique niche within roleplaying games, being the only game devoted specifically to military science-fiction genre. The owners of 23rd Century Productions are a multi-cultural team committed to introducing the wonders of military sci-fi roleplaying in the Battlelord’s universe to everyone in the gaming community.
What's in the book?
- A complete timeline of the Battlelord’s universe and detailed setting information.
- 15 different highly detailed species to choose from for your character
- Character development tables and nearly 100 skills to make each character unique.
- An expansive, galaxy spanning setting with limitless potential.
- Dozens of high-tech armored suits and helmets to choose from for your character.
- Unique armor game mechanics allow players to customize their suit’s resistance to different methods of attack.
- Armor ranges from light body armor, to mechanized battle armor, to the massive walking tanks called Ultra Armor. Each suit of armor is highly customizable with over a 150 options to choose from.
- Dozens of weapon systems and hundreds of weapons to equip your character. Arm yourself with lasers, disintegrators, pulse weapons, grav sheers, grenade launchers, frost guns, and Omega weapons, just to name a few.
- Find the chink in your opponent’s armor by choosing the weapon that exploits a weakness in their defenses.
- Equipment, cybernetics, and vehicles.
- Spacecraft of all types, including deck plans and rules for using them.
- Hundreds of Matrices. The psychic powers used by a few species within the Alliance.
- Information on the techno-organic, bio-engineered soldiers of Arachnid hordes and the Atlantean nano-swarms.
- Detailed setting information for running a campaign in the 23rd Century for: Galactic Armed Forces Soldiers Mega-corp Mercenaries Pirates and Privateers Alliance Spies and mega-corp espionage agents
- Pre-made, ready-to-play mercenary team.
- Ready to play scenario included